Do you ever get overwhelmed with NH?

Honestly, at the very beginning I did get overwhelmed because there was SO MUCH STUFF to do.

I think one of the first things I remember doing after I got my tent set up, was to get a garbage can and start chucking all the flowers that I didn't want in there and keeping some of them. It was also daunting to do the terraforming since I couldn't reset like I did in ACNL when it didn't work the way I wanted it to.

I don't really get overwhelmed with Animal Crossing games when actually playing them and my main New Horizons island is no exception. I just kind of take things easy, go with the flow. I don't really terraform much and don't utilize path patterns to extravagantly decorate, so there isn't much to be overwhelmed by.

That said, I got a second Switch and a second copy of the game last year because I came up with a concept for an island that I think will be cool. I've been too paralyzed by indecision to start it. I don't know what to name the island and that's kept me from doing anything with it. I've really been feeling the urge to start recently. Hopefully I can decide on what to call it soon.

I got extremely overwhelmed when I designing my New Horizons castle town. I felt like there were too many possibilities and I didn't like anything I created. I had to put it down for probably about six-eight months before I picked it up again with new ideas and then everything went relatively fast. There are still areas I want to improve but its far less overwhelming when I work in sections rather than the island as a whole.

As someone who was an avid New Leaf player, I had basically played that game inside an out. I was never bored, and inspiration never ran out.

However... there's something about New Horizons.. where when I go to plan out my island, and how I want it to look, and decorate, I feel more overwhelmed than when I planned my New Leaf towns?

Maybe NH has a wider collection of furniture and items, and I can't figure out how to decorate with them?

Maybe people have created these elaborate islands where I feel like any island I create would be mediocre to those islands?

I never felt like this playing New Leaf!!! Tell me someone else feels the same?
Can't relate because I actually restarted my New Leaf town (probably more than 10 times) more than my New Horizons island (one time).

I think the only time I get overwhelmed in NH now is if there's a big NH activity to do on TBT.. like that Halloween Dream Address activity, I had a lot of items to order, a lot of re-arranging to do, a lot of designs to search for.

Other than that though my island is basically finished so there's not much to get overwhelmed about. I kinda miss it

I did for decorating but that's when I stop and revisit it again weeks or months later.

I used to get overwhelmed just as you described yeah. I played NH before new leaf and the loud music, so many dailies and decorating such a large space and the orders when I have a terrible memory and can't use notes was really overwhelming at first (I was time traveling).

Now it still is but a lot less so. First, I quit time travelling (for the most part outside of a few things) or trying to complete all the things and dailies or care at all. Then, I just focus on decorating one section. So instead of trying to do the whole island I think of it as making teeny little dollsets in one big blank canvas doll set and decorate what I like and that's much much better. Over time although I felt my island could not be elaborate it's become kind of so thru that manner haha. When I focus on a little place I want to visit on my island, that helps me not be overwhelmed. I have a room in my house to keep track of what I'm doing/what I'd like to do. Someday I hope to move it down outside. I think it can be overwhelming because it's so unstructured but if you just focus on one place at a time it helps a lot.

Last edited:
New Horizons can be very overstimulating, when I start to feel this way about the game I go back to the basics, try and focus on catching bugs and fish I don't have yet, talking to villagers, making money. Then once I start feeling less pressure I allow myself to decorate again, but only small areas at a time

Back when I played the game regularly I felt that way whenever I wanted to teraform my island since it’s slow and takes a long time. I ended up doing it anyway and now I’m really proud of the structure of my island, even if it was improvised.

If anything I felt limited with the furniture I had despite New Horizons having the most options since I had bad luck with what Timmy and Tommy were selling.

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the completionist aspect of it. Like I think about all the DIYs I still need/want and my head spins. I know no one is saying I HAVE to get them all... or complete my museum, or really anything I don't want to do... but some of this stuff I do actually want for my island build, like some of the maple leaf and mushroom stuff I want for the forest... but ugh balloon farming... my beloathed.

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the completionist aspect of it. Like I think about all the DIYs I still need/want and my head spins. I know no one is saying I HAVE to get them all... or complete my museum, or really anything I don't want to do... but some of this stuff I do actually want for my island build, like some of the maple leaf and mushroom stuff I want for the forest... but ugh balloon farming... my beloathed.
I got frustrated with how my villagers kept giving me recipes instead of DIYs and decided to buy most of the DIYs I was missing from this site instead. It's a relief to not have to worry about checking the game often enough to get 3 recipes from my villagers a day.

Back