I love this game but......

I feel the same way. I’m so disappointed. I enjoyed this game a lot at first, but while I played 800 hours of New Leaf over multiple towns, by June in NH I had just......lost the initiative to play. I don’t need to be able to have godlike control over the bend of the river or the placement of the rocks. I want the actual daily experience of playing the game to feel immersive and comforting.

I was the kid who cried when villagers moved away in Wild World, and the young adult who never let half my original random villagers move out of my NL town because I got too attached. I’ve never been into perfecting some lineup of dream villagers. I’m a huge sucker for bonding with ANY villager who happens to show up. And yet somehow I can’t quite seem to connect with the villagers in New Horizons in the same way. They feel so plastic, so stale. I hate that my villagers all talk about the same things over and over regardless of personality. I don’t want to talk to them five times to reach interesting dialogue when any number of dialogues over “one conversation per day” makes them all say passive-aggressive things about how I won’t leave them alone, even at Best Friend status. I feel annoying when I talk to them frequently. They never ask for me to do a thing for them or with them. I love the interactivity with the environment, but they feel like set pieces more than friends. I know WW and NL had dialogue repetition, but all I can say is that I adored my villagers there and have a hard time caring here.

Was NL dialogue really better than NH’s? All I recall is NL dialogue was extremely repetitive and it was a source of many many complaints from the fanbase. To me dialogue in NH and NL is honestly the same level of repetitiveness and depth. I played WW but I can’t remember the variety of the dialogue since that was 10+ years ago.

I think NH did make some improvements like having the villagers have activities they can do such as exercising singing eating sitting down etc. It makes them look more lively to me. Also, the dialogue between villagers have been improved a lot imo, I’ve encountered some pretty funny dialogue between villagers and it’s quite varied. As I recall, people were often clamouring for more interaction between villagers so they probably are listening to feedback a little. Hopefully they will continue to listen and improve the dialogue though I don’t think it will ever reach a level that will satisfy everyone and that it won’t be in NH but in the next game.

Scanning in amiibo is so messed. Why am I forced to scan them in three separate times and force me to craft crap for them? Like just gimmie the villager please.

In addition to what I said before in my previous reply:
One of the issues is that Nintendo has a pretty mixed history of listening to it’s consumers. Sometimes they make the changes or developments that so many have asked for and in other instances they just don’t seem to be interested. Of course this is fair enough sometimes because what the consumers demand isn’t realistic nor smart for them to follow but other things.... other things we ask for have been done before or by other companies. Villager dialogue shouldn’t be a problem for them given that they have already gone to the trouble of creating unique traits and dialogue for each in previous games. Maybe it was initially done in order for the game to have a wider appeal to younger players (I know that some have talked about finding wild world dialogue mean as a child) but this shouldn’t stop them from giving them some more character. It just comes across as laziness but who knows. I can’t say that I think there is a high chance of them updating and changing this in future.
Post automatically merged:

Scanning in amiibo is so messed. Why am I forced to scan them in three separate times and force me to craft crap for them? Like just gimmie the villager please.
This is a seperate issue but... yes. My amiibo collection is now a pain to use and I can’t run a villager adoption centre anymore because its just too tedious and time consuming. This is probably my biggest issue with New Horizons in all honesty.
Post automatically merged:

I feel the same way. I’m so disappointed. I enjoyed this game a lot at first, but while I played 800 hours of New Leaf over multiple towns, by June in NH I had just......lost the initiative to play. I don’t need to be able to have godlike control over the bend of the river or the placement of the rocks. I want the actual daily experience of playing the game to feel immersive and comforting.

I was the kid who cried when villagers moved away in Wild World, and the young adult who never let half my original random villagers move out of my NL town because I got too attached. I’ve never been into perfecting some lineup of dream villagers. I’m a huge sucker for bonding with ANY villager who happens to show up. And yet somehow I can’t quite seem to connect with the villagers in New Horizons in the same way. They feel so plastic, so stale. I hate that my villagers all talk about the same things over and over regardless of personality. I don’t want to talk to them five times to reach interesting dialogue when any number of dialogues over “one conversation per day” makes them all say passive-aggressive things about how I won’t leave them alone, even at Best Friend status. I feel annoying when I talk to them frequently. They never ask for me to do a thing for them or with them. I love the interactivity with the environment, but they feel like set pieces more than friends. I know WW and NL had dialogue repetition, but all I can say is that I adored my villagers there and have a hard time caring here.
(Promise I’ll stop posting now)

I find it so frustrating that I cannot talk to a villager more than once without them being annoyed with me, while it probably doesn’t impact friendship points into pretty uncomfortable. It almost feels like this game has been set up so that we don’t chat to villagers too much and obsess about them less! (I don’t actually think that ofc but that’s the way it feels) They are very plastic indeed. Sad.

Last edited:
Yeah villager dialogue gets so annoying, especially if you have multiples of one personality. Everything feels bland and the same. I honestly would’ve liked if instead of bringing back diving, they would’ve just enhanced the dialogue. Diving is only fun for the mermaid stuff (and it’s tedious either way) but after that it loses its purpose. If they were to spice up dialogue, it would make the game more enjoyable in the long run (at least I think) because you’d have your villagers thinking up new things to say to you daily. If they were even to add small new bits of dialogue every update that would be cool too. It’s gotten to the point where I don’t really bother talking to my all of my villagers!

When the new update came, I think new dialogue was added but it made Claude worse? He literally only says the 1 new line they taught him over & over again every single day. He's even more broken now.

I have the feeling the same thing happened to my Peanut. Except she still says an old sentence on how she is not made to sing metal.. I hear it literally every day now, it is the first thing she says to me EVERY TIME.

Was NL dialogue really better than NH’s? All I recall is NL dialogue was extremely repetitive and it was a source of many many complaints from the fanbase. To me dialogue in NH and NL is honestly the same level of repetitiveness and depth. I played WW but I can’t remember the variety of the dialogue since that was 10+ years ago.

I think NH did make some improvements like having the villagers have activities they can do such as exercising singing eating sitting down etc. It makes them look more lively to me. Also, the dialogue between villagers have been improved a lot imo, I’ve encountered some pretty funny dialogue between villagers and it’s quite varied. As I recall, people were often clamouring for more interaction between villagers so they probably are listening to feedback a little. Hopefully they will continue to listen and improve the dialogue though I don’t think it will ever reach a level that will satisfy everyone and that it won’t be in NH but in the next game.

As I said in my post, NL dialogue was already repetitive and my biggest issue with the game. That's why I had such high hopes for NH! Nevertheless, it was still slightly better in my opinion because the personalities are CLONES. I had a few repeats in NL and I didn't want to get rid of them and could still get separate dialogue at times. Now, they say exactly the same things.

My goodness, I agree 100% . The very least they could do is have ten different personalities rather than 8 so there won't be copies and we can enjoy a certain villager more.

but, yeah. I don't have WW but the said "charm" sounds amazing. I'd love it if maybe Gala became obsessed with her violin and asked me to buy her one. (I totally would lmao). or if she always wanted to play rock-paper-scissors. now that would be lit.

or if Genji actually wanted to be a politician instead of being Tybalt's clone and screaming about fitness all the time. It's actually pretty lame... like, I was thinking to myself, "maybe if Vivian leaves I can just get Willow. Oh, but I'll miss Vivian so much!" and then I realized "Wait. They'll just be the same anyway. Why get attached to Vivian when Willow is the same girl in a much different body?" it's ridiculous....

yyyyyyyyyyyyeah lol

i agree with literally everything y'all are saying lmao.

The fact that most villagers have only two or three "greeting dialog" lines (the first thing they say when you talk to them, before your options of "what's new" or "goodbai") are the first hint that things get stale... and yeas, it makes me so mad to talk to Sherb and hear him say "hey what's up" and then talk to him again and hear him say "oh... you again" or something like that. Sherb is literally my favorite villager but that dialog makes me pissy every time I have to read it.

Oh also here's an idea: uh so u know how some villagers are featured on KK Slider album covers? Well, why do they never TALK about it?!! Like maybe they could just spring up a conversation about "hey... a long time ago, maybe 6 or so years - I was chosen to be on an OFFICIAL kk slider album cover!!! ...yeah, my one moment of fame. But it just makes me happy to see it." and they could say which album, too ofc. (like curlos was on the Neapolitan cover ) and have a framed pic of it on their wall...?

really... sometimes I fantasize about having a normal conversation with, oh, Tammi. Tammi: "Hello, what's up?" me: hi! wanna chat? Tammi: yeah! hm... y'know i just had this random memory from when I was thirteen, my brother pushed me over into a lake - and my dad caught a picture of it!!! it's hilarious and embarrassing. maybe I'll put it in my autobiography!!" and then I could have another dialog choice: "Ouch! I'd be so embarrassed!" or "that'd be a funny story for your autobiography!!!" or LITERALLY ANYTHING BESIDES HER TELLING ME AB ALL THE FOSSILS I DUG UP YESTERDAY :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I mean, I get that there are limitations to dialog when there are 400 or so villagers... but wasn't there an 8 year gap between NL and NH? What were they DOING in those 8 years?? planning... but they totally could've made each villager unique in such a large time frame like that. what the hec

I’ve definitely been feeling the same way, everything they say just feels so repetitive. I don’t talk to my villagers as much anymore like when I first started playing NH and the only villagers I really do talk to are my favorites as for everyone else I’ll talk to them once in a while. And I’m not the biggest fan of the athletic types I personally think they’re fine but nowadays it gets so tiring hearing them only bring up stuff about their muscles and working out even if they’re having conversations with other villagers 😕 and how they all seem VERY friendly like I know it’s supposed to be that way but I miss the idea of villagers just being mean in the older games but that’s just me personally cause I think their dialogue was funny and I just kinda like the idea of them slowly becoming nicer and becoming friends ya’ know :p

The characters definitely get relative after a while, even just a few random dialogues per character would help. Another issue is that even as the dialogues are the same across all of a personality there’s not a whole lot of them. I swear there’s only like three possible dialogues when getting a DIY from a specific type villager.

maybe they could start adding in new dialogues with the updates? That way theywouldn’t have to overwork during the initial release but could still addmore as the game continues to keep things fresh

Back