anyone else concerned about multiplayer tho??

solarskits

Bells
hello!! first of all- the hype is so real right now. i already have the switch and MAN am I excited for it to come out

I know the game was literally just announced, no talking about features or anything, but is anyone else concerned about the multiplayer aspect of the game? like how in new leaf, you and other players could easily visit each others' towns as long as you had an internet connection. but since you have to pay to play online with people on the switch, does anyone else think that'll affect gameplay at all?

maybe I'm just worrying too much since the game was just announced lmAOO but it's an interesting thought??? idk how I would feel about having to pay to visit another player's town, ya know?

Well, there's local mode in New Leaf (basically wireless play) that only required an internet connection so I can't see as to why Nintendo would implement online service for that. Worldwide? Yes. Local multiplayer? That's illogical.

I think it will be an issue, though how severe I cannot really predict. I think most serious online players would be willing to pay, so I do not really think it will affect these forums too much. I say this because online games like Club Penguin had much more expensive "memberships", and most longtime players would be members. I am not saying AC should adopt a similar membership system, but I do not think it will get in the way too much. Of course, AC players are not exactly used to paying for online services, at least for AC specifically, so there is a bit of a difference there.

I think it will be an issue, though how severe I cannot really predict. I think most serious online players would be willing to pay, so I do not really think it will affect these forums too much. I say this because online games like Club Penguin had much more expensive "memberships", and most longtime players would be members. I am not saying AC should adopt a similar membership system, but I do not think it will get in the way too much. Of course, AC players are not exactly used to paying for online services, at least for AC specifically, so there is a bit of a difference there.

I see what you mean! tbh I'll probably end up paying the online service at some point anyway to use it with other games, but I was concerned on how it would affect the new AC since, like you said, you never really had to pay for online services for the previous games :0 I'm just hoping it doesn't affect the game too much, ya know? especially for the Dream Suite now that I think about it :confused: (which I'm sure they'll keep but who knows right now lol)

Last edited:
A $20/yr online sub doesn't seem outrageous to me, sub pricing is something Nintendo's definitely friendlier about than most companies. Hopefully it means they want to support the Switch and internet dependent Switch games for a longer time than they could justify for, for example, City Folk, or even for New Leaf (in the sense that DLC items died down after the first year).

Last edited:
$20 a year for online play seems very reasonable to me, so I'm not worried about wondering if I'll have online playability.

As for others, I would think that if they can afford a $300 console and a $60 game, then they can afford $20 a year to pay for online services and more. Just my thoughts.

I wouldn't think it will impact gameplay. Unless they add features to the game (besides multiplayer) that require online connection, it shouldn't cause too much of a problem. As someone else said, those who really enjoy the online aspect of AC will just pay for the subscription. People pay much more than $20/yr for other online game subscriptions.

@Walugi Yes, the real subscription cost of the Switch is constantly buying $60 games and DLC so you don't feel like the console was a sunk cost :)

Last edited:
tbh I forgot about the yearly plan of only $20, I was too focused on wondering when they were gonna talk about AC to process the prices when they showed it LOL. the price definitely does seem more reasonable to deal with compared to other companies, so I agree that it probably won't be a huge problem for most people

That is one thing that if my sisters want to be friends and visit other ppl towns, then we have to pay online for each profile which is dumb.
But idc about online on ac because I won't make another town on the switch because I rather to play on a smaller console for that game like the 3ds.

That is one thing that if my sisters want to be friends and visit other ppl towns, then we have to pay online for each profile which is dumb.
But idc about online on ac because I won't make another town on the switch because I rather to play on a smaller console for that game like the 3ds.

You wouldn't have to pay for each profile. The family plan will be $35, $15 more than the price for one profile alone.

Last edited:
Friendly reminder that if you split the family membership between 7 people, it's $5/person for the year. I do not think the online service will have any significant effect on the multiplayer.

Friendly reminder that if you split the family membership between 7 people, it's $5/person for the year. I do not think the online service will have any significant effect on the multiplayer.

oh man that's really useful to know, thank you!

I'll probably pay for a 1 year subscription minimum. I imagine I'd need it for both AC and Pokemon. I will just try to collect as much as I can during that timeframe as I can.

I generally don't play AC with other people anyway. My main interaction with people is just trading items. Once I have all of the items I can't get myself, then I'd be fine with offline only play.

I don?t think it?ll be an issue. Any Switch user who wants online play will fork over the $20. And when you do your research, $20/yr is a STEAL compared to Sony or Microsoft.

I get that some people will be mad over ?needing? to buy online, but, they also need to spend $60 on the new Animal Crossing game anyway. It?s not like they?d be hurting for the cash.

That said, if anyone needs someone to play with next year let me know because I?ll have it :) I?m sure there will be minor fuss but I think it?s totally not even a thing to worry about.

The concern for online access is determined by how many towns we get per Switch device vs Nintendo account user.

Will each user be able to have one town? Or multiple towns?

How will ?Family Plan? affect Animal Crossing and multiple towns?

This has not been answered yet - so we will have to wait and see.

Other consoles have already gone down the pay for online service, I honestly don't get why there's so much anger over this. It's hardly expensive, it's like a dollar and 50 cents each month... if you cant afford that then you're in serious trouble financially.

I don't see why this would affect local multiplayer at all! You know, it may be that we're still able to collect DLC and stuff without the membership, but I have my doubts on that. I definitely think the main thing will just be visiting and inviting friends to your town online that will be restricted without a membership. I don't think the core experience will be affected at all and can't even really think of a reason one would think that. Don't worry!!

As for the community being affected, I think AC is a big enough community that there will still be plenty of people available to play with online. :) I would be more concerned about this in smaller communities where it's harder to communicate.

Gonna go out and be rude but : I'm quite happy about this as I think it will make it easier to reduce interactions with young children who don't follow town etiquette/stealing etc.

I think if you can't afford 20 bucks a year as an adult then you got bigger issues to deal with lol

Other consoles have already gone down the pay for online service, I honestly don't get why there's so much anger over this. It's hardly expensive, it's like a dollar and 50 cents each month... if you cant afford that then you're in serious trouble financially.

are people really upset about Nintendo's prices? or are they more upset about having it in the first place? :0

- - - Post Merge - - -

Gonna go out and be rude but : I'm quite happy about this as I think it will make it easier to reduce interactions with young children who don't follow town etiquette/stealing etc.

I think if you can't afford 20 bucks a year as an adult then you got bigger issues to deal with lol

yeah, I can see the membership helping out quite a bit about that :0 I forgot that that issue is a thing lol

Back