• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.

do you remember how to do long division?

do you?

• yeah!!! i love math!

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • i do, but only because i have to/should/etc.

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • no, math is stinky!!!

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • other???

Votes: 5 7.7%

• Total voters
I remember it and find it fairly easy, though I'd much rather use a calculator for division. Tbh, math is a very boring and technical subject, so it never really appealed to me. While I received good grades in algebra, I hated having to memorize so many formulas in math just to pass the class. I especially hated doing homework in math cuz it can so long just to solve one problem.

I don't think this was a thing I ever learned in the first place. I didn't go to the best schools and my maths teacher just stopped bothering to turn up after a while. He never taught us anything anyway, just kept barking at us like "Eeeee grow oop will ye" in his silly Postman Pat accent.

Our maths teacher had us all learn a poem to help us remember the key-points to long division, which I still remember to this day (it's sung to the tune of ring-a-ring-a-roses) - unfortunately it could only really be used in december and our exams were usually in May.

Dividend, Diviser,
Quotient, Remainder,
Cross it off,
Pop it across,
Here come Santa's Reindeer.

I know how it works, but that’s because I’m a high school student so I’ve got plenty of math work that may involve long division…I don’t mind.

Not at all. I haven't done it since elementary school and math is easier with calculators, so it's natural for me to forget how to do long division. Am I gonna go out of my way to relearn it? ...Nah.

I'm not sure I ever learned. I was not a great student of math and passed it like walking a thin tightrope.

There's bad at math, then there's me. I rarely grasp any concepts. It's absolutely incredible that I've passed my required college math courses.

nope; I never was able to do it. tbh I can’t do even simple math. My autism test results had mentioned i had dyscalculia.

I still remember because I had a lot of no calculator tests after elementary school where I had to use it. But if you need me to use it to divide two numbers with decimal points then I've probably forgotten how that works.

most definitely not! i barely knew how to do division back then and i don't know it now 🥹 i honestly don't remember a lot from math classes, it was always my weakest subject

Math is my least favorite subject, but I still remember it as I used it for a class from weeks ago. In my opinion, long division can be helpful in some ways, but I would rather bring out the calculator.

i remember how to do it. i don’t particularly love math though or need to know in theory, so i’m tempted to change my answer to other 🤨

Last edited:
I never actually got taught long division, and whenever I asked my first Math high school teacher about it he acted like I was stupid and that I should know how to do it by now, so I stopped asked and just figured out how to divide in my head instead. Because 13 year old me obviously didn't have the initiative to use google

I came here to post I didn't remember how to. I decided to try it and it was really easy. So I suppose school has stuck with me more than I thought.. quite unfortunate.

Unfortunately I do, I vividly remember reviewing it while doing polynomial long division for a few random math classes I took. It's not too bad once you remember all the little tricks to make it faster.

I have forgotten every form of math taught to me beyond the sixth grade. All that's left in my mind is arithmetic and basic algebra. When I need to do more advanced math for whatever reason I either look up websites that do it for me or give up. It's kinda sad.

Back