• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.

Happy Home Designer - Frequently Asked Questions (Got a question? Look here!)

I tried giving a friend the challenge items from the last few months when I gave her an amiibo card tonight, but they showed up only as large cardboard boxes. Anyone know why?

yeah, i think someone mentioned that the new items show up as cardboard boxes, if you don't have the update. so if your friend installs the update they should show up normally.

Last edited:
maybe something about the updated version? Can she access the HHN?

Oh... I didn't realize she hasn't updated it yet; she sent me a text this morning that they're now showing up, which is good. I just keep forgetting she hardly had time to play the game until recently, thus, she's not as far along as everyone else >< Thanks ^_^.

- - - Post Merge - - -

yeah, i think someone mentioned that the new items show up as cardboard boxes, if you don't have the update. so if your friend installs the update they should show up normally.

Thank you! I didn't know that ><.

For anyone who has series 2 cards, specifically Blanca: how do you draw on her face? I designed her house and now I'm visiting her and I can't figure out if it's possible.

is the tent (like when you start off animal crossing you get a tent before you get a house) unlockable?

is the tent (like when you start off animal crossing you get a tent before you get a house) unlockable?

Not yet, but I'm hoping it'll eventually be. :) Jingles did manage to find some words when data mining the challenges' items; one of the words was "tent;" I'm hoping that means that eventually there will be one.

Not yet, but I'm hoping it'll eventually be. :) Jingles did manage to find some words when data mining the challenges' items; one of the words was "tent;" I'm hoping that means that eventually there will be one.
aaa makes sense, thank you! it would be great to have honestly. not just any tent, i hope the actual house would be the tent (not like the big house challenge item). for now i guess i can work around it by putting a straw lookin house

.. Jingles did manage to find some words when data mining the challenges' items; one of the words was "tent;" I'm hoping that means that eventually there will be one.
oh! i haven't checked jingle's tumblr in a while and it's totally out of control now xD i love it
i've been asking, if there's news on these things so often, noone ever mentioned this -_-
something to look forward to. ^^
there's also an item called pan in this list.. I guess that's part of the next challenge? egg + frying pan would make sense..

aaa makes sense, thank you! it would be great to have honestly. not just any tent, i hope the actual house would be the tent (not like the big house challenge item). for now i guess i can work around it by putting a straw lookin house

if the tent is really one of the challenge items, it probably won't be an exterior :/
but we'll see..

Last edited:
I've seen pictures of design winners of the month. Can we get those items? Like I think one of them was a red mecha/robot. Are they even attainable?

Last edited:
I've seen pictures of design winners of the month. Can we get those items? Like I think one of them was a red mecha/robot. Are they even attainable?

Yup; you get the items automatically when you enter the contest. If you missed them, you can have someone save them to an amiibo card they trade you. :]

i feel so bad asking too much questions but how do you put music in the giant clam shell?? it doesn't seem to have the 'customize' option.. unless there's an actual music box? if so who unlocks it? ...

Last edited:
i feel so bad asking too much questions but how do you put music in the giant clam shell?? it doesn't seem to have the 'customize' option.. unless there's an actual music box? if so who unlocks it? ...

Don't feel bad :]; I don't mind answering them. You get the music box from designing the concert hall; you click on the shell to interact with it and then choose the song out of the ones you have unlocked that you want it to play.

Last edited:
Oh okay thanks! How do I enter contests?

There's none running right now. You have to wait until December 1 for the next one. You have to use the red Happy Home Network computer on the left side of Lottie's desk.

If you don't have anything there, you need to update your game. Go into the Nintendo eShop, search for Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer, and download the update. It's free.

It's probably already been asked, but, I'm getting HHD for Christmas (hopefully) and I wonder if you can get DLC after it's been released. Is it possible?

It's probably already been asked, but, I'm getting HHD for Christmas (hopefully) and I wonder if you can get DLC after it's been released. Is it possible?

The items, yes. The way you can get the items is you have to get someone who has the items put them on an amiibo card for you. You scan the amiibo card and you'll get them in your game.

You can't get the villagers again. I honestly see no way to get villagers that you missed unless they re-release them at some point or make the DLC villagers into their own amiibo cards.

is there a specific thing to do to get dlcs/certain items? i received a card today that contains a dlc and i was wondering if i just scan it??? // kinda worried bc i saw somewhere that its possible to overwrite items and??

is there a specific thing to do to get dlcs/certain items? i received a card today that contains a dlc and i was wondering if i just scan it??? // kinda worried bc i saw somewhere that its possible to overwrite items and??

You just use the amiibo phone in Nook's Homes and scan it. I don't know what you mean by overwrite items. You mean what's on the card? You can, but it's hard to do that accidentally in my experience. You won't overwrite items in your game save if that's what you meant.

You just use the amiibo phone in Nook's Homes and scan it. I don't know what you mean by overwrite items. You mean what's on the card? You can, but it's hard to do that accidentally in my experience. You won't overwrite items in your game save if that's what you meant.
thank you very much!! now i can safely scan the card then :) dunno what happened with the person i read the problem from but just didn't wanna make the same mistake if anything.

Back