• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Is a Hotdog a Sandwich?

Is a Hotdog a Sandwich?

• Total voters

chet_manley

Bells
Switch
2630-9248-4224
I am not sure where you stand on the sandwich alignment chart, but this is a question that needs to be settled.

Sandwich-alignment-chart.jpg

For what it is worth, I think a Pop-Tart is more of a ravioli than a sandwich.

Last edited:
I voted for I don't know because, well....i've never actually thought about it.

i don't know. i don't even eat hot dogs with a bun or any mustard. i just eat them plain and microwaved like finger food at 5 am. i like simplicity. but i guess with a bun, technically...???

Is the hot dog a sandwich?No.I think a decent analogy would be the current Chevy Corvette.The Corvette has a hatchback just like the milquetoast Ford Festiva I used to drive but people generally consider the Corvette to be a sports car or perhaps a muscle car and not a hatchback.....even though it has one.The hot dog has the structure and characteristics of a sandwich but nobody really calls it a sandwich.....unless they're the kind of weirdo that also likes pineapple on their pizza.

It’s not a traditional sandwich, but it technically counts as a sandwich.

I only consider a sandwich anything that uses flat-shaped bread, and since hotdogs have a special kind of bread that’s pretty much only for hotdogs, I would say no, it’s not a sandwich.

A hot dog, when prepared in the standard fashion, is not a sandwich. A sandwich necessitates two slices of bread* or other object. A hot dog bun is one continuous piece of bread with a slit where you insert the hot dog.

As for The Sandwich Alignment Chart, I'm a Structure Purist and fall somewhere between the Ingredient Neutral and Ingredient Rebel categories, though I lean more toward the Ingredient Rebel. Reason being? The first thing I think of when I think Ingredient Rebel is an ice cream sandwich.

* Now, ordinarily you associate a sandwich with ingredients of your choice placed between two pieces of bread. It's what my brain defaults to when I hear sandwich, something like PB&J or some such. However, I feel like something else can be used in place of the bread, like in the previous example of an ice cream sandwich being the cookies. Likewise, I am readily willing to substitute the traditional meat and veggies for whatever else. As long as it's something placed between two other things in the sandwich structural formation, it would be a sandwich.

In conclusion, if you so chose to place a hot dog on top of a slice of bread and then put another slice of bread on top of it, that would then be a sandwich. The thing that disqualifies a traditional hot dog from sandwichhood is the hot dog bun.

A hot dog, when prepared in the standard fashion, is not a sandwich. A sandwich necessitates two slices of bread* or other object. A hot dog bun is one continuous piece of bread with a slit where you insert the hot dog.

As for The Sandwich Alignment Chart, I'm a Structure Purist and fall somewhere between the Ingredient Neutral and Ingredient Rebel categories, though I lean more toward the Ingredient Rebel. Reason being? The first thing I think of when I think Ingredient Rebel is an ice cream sandwich.

* Now, ordinarily you associate a sandwich with ingredients of your choice placed between two pieces of bread. It's what my brain defaults to when I hear sandwich, something like PB&J or some such. However, I feel like something else can be used in place of the bread, like in the previous example of an ice cream sandwich being the cookies. Likewise, I am readily willing to substitute the traditional meat and veggies for whatever else. As long as it's something placed between two other things in the sandwich structural formation, it would be a sandwich.

In conclusion, if you so chose to place a hot dog on top of a slice of bread and then put another slice of bread on top of it, that would then be a sandwich. The thing that disqualifies a traditional hot dog from sandwichhood is the hot dog bun.

What if you tear the bun so it isn't connected at the bottom? Is it then a sandwich? I'd also ask where you stand on a submarine/hero/grinder/hoagie...is this a sandwich?

It's also worth pointing out that a hotdog is just a hot stick of bologna, so if a slice of bologna between two pieces of Wonder Bread is a sandwich, then a convenience store hot dog on a stale bun should also be a sandwich, right?

I honestly don't know and I don't care whether it's a sandwich or not. Enjoying the food itself is what matters for me.

lol don't overthink this. a hot dog is not a sandwich. even if it technically could be defined as one, it's an exception to the rule. if you asked someone to bring you a sandwich and they came back with a hot dog.. you'd be confused.

A hot dog bun is bread. A sandwich is things between bread. If you put it in a bun, it's a sandwich.

If you eat a hot dog without a bun, it's not a sandwich.

No.

The only things on that chart I consider remotely a sandwich are the BLT, chip butty, and the sub.

Who keeps coming up with these crazy threads

No. A hotdog is not a sandwich. Its like calling a burger a sandwich, but its not. Its a burger.

anyone that says a sub is a sandwich must also knowledge that a hot dog in a bun is a sandwich, as they're literally the exact same base design

a dish of an elongated piece of bread cut lengthwise long and deep enough to store the chosen filling(s) while still having the bread be a singular piece

- - - Post Merge - - -

Who keeps coming up with these crazy threads

No. A hotdog is not a sandwich. Its like calling a burger a sandwich, but its not. Its a burger.

burgers are sandwiches. they aren't special

burger buns are the only truly unique property they have, but they can be used for non-burger items. as well as burgers an be made with regular bread with little difference. ergo, sandwich

in a court of law i don't think u would have much of a leg to stand on if u sued a restaurant for bringing u out sandwiches and they brought u hotdogs but i would love to hear the professional opinion of a lawyer here

Back