• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Is water wet?

Is water wet?

• Total voters
Is this thread a joke about water?
because of course water will be wet, so why will there be an option of saying water isn't wet?

Is this thread a joke about water?
because of course water will be wet, so why will there be an option of saying water isn't wet?

It's not a joke, by physical definition of wet the molecule of water is not wet. As I stated earlier being wet is being covered or saturated by water or another liquid, therefore it's not wet.

being wet is when a solid object has a cover of liquid on it, so like, if the liquid being present is what determines the wetness it seems super redundant to call it wet. its a descriptor that cant be meaningfully applied to a liquid. there is no dry for a liquid, so qualifying it at the other end of the scale doesnt need to happen and to me that means theres no wet for liquids either.

The fact that water is wet isn't that much of a deep concept. Water is wet, simple as that. Not everything in the universe needs to have any super deep concept so leave it alone.

The fact that water is wet isn't that much of a deep concept. Water is wet, simple as that. Not everything in the universe needs to have any super deep concept so leave it alone.

Following the definition of being wet, water itself I.e. the molocule isn't wet. If you're talking about lots of water then by definition it is wet as it is covered in a liquid.

No one is right or wrong, by their own definition.

And if you break apart all the molecules of anything, then it is neither this or that.

yes, it's cohesive and is touching other water particles at all times. It's wet.
1714350868815.png

Arrrr... just a wee bit

I will always stick by the belief that water is not wet. It will never be wet. It just makes things wet. But it’s a little funny how this can start giant internet debates despite being so trivial.

An item can only be wet if it absorbs the water or water sticks to the item. If water is by itself, it isn't sticking to anything or absorbed by anything, but you'd find that more often in space than on earth id assume.

Back