• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!

Kaiaa's Clay Corner

You have great potential!
As a fellow clay-maker (lol) I'd like to give you some helpful tips that make help you to improve ^^
Now, I'm not a professional either, some ppl consider my work pretty amateur still, which is acceptable, as I've only been using clay for a lil under a year now, and only recently have I really gotten into it again.

First, I'd like to say you do have some that are very well down, there are minor details to them I think you could fix to make them near the best to your ability, atm. I'll run through the items and tell you some suggestions for them ~
I'd say your present boxes are done pretty good. It does look like in some areas the lines are a bit wobbly. Ways you can fix that is by either using an X-acto knife and lightly press down over the lumpy areas to straighten it out. Or, you can use a needle (which I use for A LOT of things xD ) to press in the lumps to form an even shape/line.
Your peach looks really good ^^ As well as your apple, but I think if you squished it down a lil bit it would look more in-shape ~
Your bell bag as well, make the sack more chubby rather than long, and try not to squish the rope down too much.
Tom Nook also looks pretty awesome ^^ only thing is to try to make the stuff like ears and eyes as even as possible.. I know sometimes it's a bit hard to, and can get annoying, but it definitely pays off, as most people do look for symmetry, sadly xD lol.
Fauna looks good as well, only problem I see would be her face. Tbh, when it comes to clay and making faces WITH the clay, it never comes out right. My suggestion is always to paint it on. Honestly, I paint everything on. I use white clay, then mix the colors in and paint it all in. It's a lot easier, at least for me. If you prefer colored clay though, I suggest you try to make the faces with paint rather than clay, as it may leave a better, more define result.
Fossils look good, just try not squishing it so much, as that's what makes those wiggles in them. If that happens, here's some ways to fix it. Use a needle to go over the creases to straighten back out. Or, curve a small indention in the space you're putting the bone pieces, then place it down SLIGHTLY pressing so the clay kinda warm up and semi-meet. Then softly push the edges together to keep it steadily in there. (sorry if that sounds confusing > .< )
Here's an example of my fossil and bell bag (mind you, my bell bag isn't too perfect either :c )
1JAjdlr.jpg
Hopefully that may help a bit with your fossils though.
Another thing with the fossils, the shape they are is great (width-wise) however, I'd suggest, for the charms, to make the Pitfalls an actual ball.
Kirby, I would suggest making him more of a baby pink than a hot pink (that;s at least how he looks on my screen) and possibly making his face from paint as well, or at least stuff like his tongue and eye whites.
Kirby necklace I've done
il_570xN.623919846_ojp8.jpg
Yours do look good though! Just his color, and making his face look a lil neater is all he needs!
Fire Flower loos pretty dead-on. Just try making the layers level, as you can see where some of the colors have a thicker side than the other. Also, again on the eye whites, try to keep them a lil neater ^^
Bob-omb is really simple, but good, so he's alirght! ^^
Mushroom is great, just the fingerprints is a problem, but someone's helped you with that ~
Goomba.. without being rude ; ^; I think needs the most work. Grant it, he is hard to make though.
Here's an example of mine -
CUDh4iU.jpg
He definitely takes some work, so don't expect him to be a quick one to make! For his mouth line DEFINITELY use a needle, it's the best way to make it, imo, and it keeps it clean and straight! For his eyebrows roll out a line of black clay, use the needle to work it into his grumpy look.
I get scared when helping ppl out, cuz ya know xD competition lol, but I do see that you're really interested in making them and find it as a good hobby, so I definitely encourage that ^^
Keep at it cuz you definitely have potential to make some great things!
If you'd ever liike to take a look at my stuff you can click any picture in my signature and it'll take you to my Etsy shop :3
If you also ever have questions I can help you to the best of my ability, cuz again, I'm no pro, lol.
I've made plenty of mistakes though, so I've had lots of experiences - good and bad - while making these and have taught myself some great tips.
Good luck! ^^

Also, your pillows are great! I'd get one if I wasn't already dreaming of all those beautiful Legend of Zelda pillows @ .@ I'm too obsessed.
Maybe one day though <3 definitely really awesome ~
I used to make pillows and plushies, but they got too frustrating than fun after a while, so I stay away from them now ; 3;

Kain, thank you. That's the kind of criticism I need to improve my stuff! I'll keep practicing and I'll try painting them next time. :)
I'll try again and post the new pictures when I have them ready. I made myself a charm bracelet out of the charms and I have to say, even though the charms aren't quite as good as yours, the bracelet is still pretty cute. I like what I do at least, and if no one else does that just means I need to improve. Thank you for you examples and your tips, I really appreciate it! <3

Ah yes! Congrats on yer store!

I ordered the pinwheels and the apple charms. I had this idea to use them for 'tbt collectible' dangling earrings. Lolz. (Apple isn't a collectible..yet but this is a fun alternative :cool: ) I'll prolly grab that pillow in the future since I missed out on it during the fair.

Glad this is a thing and good luck! Everything is adorable and I can't wait to get mine in the mail. n_n
#hypetrain

Ah yes! Congrats on yer store!

I ordered the pinwheels and the apple charms. I had this idea to use them for 'tbt collectible' dangling earrings. Lolz. (Apple isn't a collectible..yet but this is a fun alternative :cool: ) I'll prolly grab that pillow in the future since I missed out on it during the fair.

Glad this is a thing and good luck! Everything is adorable and I can't wait to get mine in the mail. n_n
#hypetrain

Thank you so much!!!
The pinwheels are a little bigger than they are in the picture now because they were too fragile to be that small, will that be a problem? They're still light enough to be used as earrings, just slightly bigger :)
Also, I sent you a message on Etsy I need you to read, if you'd be so kind as to reply to it before I send the package out to you <3

Kain, thank you. That's the kind of criticism I need to improve my stuff! I'll keep practicing and I'll try painting them next time. :)
I'll try again and post the new pictures when I have them ready. I made myself a charm bracelet out of the charms and I have to say, even though the charms aren't quite as good as yours, the bracelet is still pretty cute. I like what I do at least, and if no one else does that just means I need to improve. Thank you for you examples and your tips, I really appreciate it! <3

Can't wait to see them! :D
And no need to compare, we make some different things and I'm sure some of mine wouldn't come out as well as yours!
It's always an amazing feeling to have something that you made yourself, no matter the quality ^^ it makes it feel very personal, and will always be important to you (you'd be surprised how many things I've made and then been like "Uhmmm... I think.. I may.. keep.. this.. Yup. You are mine!!!")
And no problem! :) I hope you go far with what you enjoy doing, as that's my goal as well and would mean a lot to me and my career, so I can imagine what it'd mean to you too ^^

Last edited:
Can't wait to see them! :D
And no need to compare, we make some different things and I'm sure some of mine wouldn't come out as well as yours!
It's always an amazing feeling to have something that you made yourself, no matter the quality ^^ it makes it feel very personal, and will always be important to you (you'd be surprised how many things I've made and then been like "Uhmmm... I think.. I may.. keep.. this.. Yup. You are mine!!!")
And no problem! :) I hope you go far with what you enjoy doing, as that's my goal as well and would mean a lot to me and my career, so I can imagine what it'd mean to you too ^^

I redid the kirby and tom nook earrings using your advice and it made such an improvement! I'll take pictures of them soon, and yeah I kept some of my things hehe I made a wiggler and he's cute as a button but he's mine for me. And I picked out some charms for me to keep. I think with my new bracelet I'll take new pictures for the ACNL charms cover picture as well. I think when people see an example of what they can make out of it they'll feel better getting one or two for themselves as well. It makes me so happy that Lockfancy is going to make earrings out of hers!

I redid the kirby and tom nook earrings using your advice and it made such an improvement! I'll take pictures of them soon, and yeah I kept some of my things hehe I made a wiggler and he's cute as a button but he's mine for me. And I picked out some charms for me to keep. I think with my new bracelet I'll take new pictures for the ACNL charms cover picture as well. I think when people see an example of what they can make out of it they'll feel better getting one or two for themselves as well. It makes me so happy that Lockfancy is going to make earrings out of hers!

I'm glad! :3
Wiggles sounds like he'd be awesome!
I have so many orders to complete @ .@ but once done I need to start making new things for my shop xD can never have enough!!
I must ask though, is there a benefit to having more than one listing of the same item? I've seen a lot of shops have that, while I only have one so I'm wondering if that's bad xD
Yeah! I think earrings are most popular. Everyone's looking for super creative and colorful things for their ears now, lol.

Hihi. I replied to you on esty! Thing is every time I hit the reply button it would erase my message (?) so hopefully it actually got through to you. Either that or I replied a bunch of times lolz.

I actually have things to make earrings with but since I'm no good at clay I've never been able to make anything lol so this is great. i wish I could use normal earrings but I have gauges so it kinda limits me :| but I've been wanting more things to wear cause the same ole black holes gets boring after a while. Also I think I'll be okay with the size. Originally I was thinking of a phone charm since I have the fair stickers on my phone, but I realized I would prolly lose the charms doing that.

I've heard so much about this store so I'm glad it's finally here!

And Kain I plan to buy from you too. :cool: I finally signed up for etsy cause I'm just gunna stop avoiding that site and just order things lol. I've always wanted to buy handmade merch cause it's like I'm not limited to what I see in the store. I can't wait to find excuses to wear earrings again. Lolz <3 you guise are giving me more options then I know what to do with.

I'm glad! :3
Wiggles sounds like he'd be awesome!
I have so many orders to complete @ .@ but once done I need to start making new things for my shop xD can never have enough!!
I must ask though, is there a benefit to having more than one listing of the same item? I've seen a lot of shops have that, while I only have one so I'm wondering if that's bad xD
Yeah! I think earrings are most popular. Everyone's looking for super creative and colorful things for their ears now, lol.

Yes actually there is a benefit! You only have to pay for 1 listing as opposed to the 3 or 4 you may have when they're not combined. So if you have a few things that go with a certain video game it might be easier to put them together and mark them as different "styles" if they're very similar.

Hihi. I replied to you on esty! Thing is every time I hit the reply button it would erase my message (?) so hopefully it actually got through to you. Either that or I replied a bunch of times lolz.

I actually have things to make earrings with but since I'm no good at clay I've never been able to make anything lol so this is great. i wish I could use normal earrings but I have gauges so it kinda limits me :| but I've been wanting more things to wear cause the same ole black holes gets boring after a while. Also I think I'll be okay with the size. Originally I was thinking of a phone charm since I have the fair stickers on my phone, but I realized I would prolly lose the charms doing that.

I've heard so much about this store so I'm glad it's finally here!

And Kain I plan to buy from you too. :cool: I finally signed up for etsy cause I'm just gunna stop avoiding that site and just order things lol. I've always wanted to buy handmade merch cause it's like I'm not limited to what I see in the store. I can't wait to find excuses to wear earrings again. Lolz <3 you guise are giving me more options then I know what to do with.

Oh that's cool! My brother and his girlfriend have gauges. I actually don't even have my ears pierced which is crazy, I just never had a need to get them pierced. I still love looking at earrings though. Also thank you for your reply on etsy!

IMG_4428.jpg

I got mine! And I made the earrings XD I actually got these yesterday (caught me off guard cause that was fast shipping lol) so I put em together and wore them out. Its cool cause the pinwheels and fruits poke out and look more like hair accessories than earrings. I was debating possibly attaching feathers to them.

So many possibilities.

But no damages and I got everything just fine. :D
tyvm!

Last edited:

IMG_4428.jpg

I got mine! And I made the earrings XD I actually got these yesterday (caught me off guard cause that was fast shipping lol) so I put em together and wore them out. Its cool cause the pinwheels and fruits poke out and look more like hair accessories than earrings. I was debating possibly attaching feathers to them.

So many possibilities.

tyvm!

Oh my! Those look really beautiful if you don't mind me saying! I'm glad that everything shipped well, and I hope that they last you a long time :) Thank you so much for supporting my hobby it means a lot to me. I hope that your creations inspire others to make fun accessories out of the charms too! <3

IMG_4428.jpg

So many possibilities.

tyvm!

oh wow! that looks absolutely adorable!!!!

These are so nice and cute, Kaiaa! :,D

Thank you so much!

Oh, and for those of you interested, check out my etsy for the new earrings! I updated Nook and Kirby and I think they look a lot better now.

Kaiaa do you ship worldwide?
Your stuffs are so nice, but I dunno if I can actually order it XD

Kaiaa do you ship worldwide?
Your stuffs are so nice, but I dunno if I can actually order it XD

I do ship worldwide but shipping is a bit steep unfortunately. There's not much I can do about the shipping prices outside of the US.

Oh, and for those of you interested, check out my etsy for the new earrings! I updated Nook and Kirby and I think they look a lot better now.
The new ones are lookin' good! Can definitely see the improvement in Kirby ^^

This is so cute! I so wish i could get something, but i can't right now :(

Anyways goodluck! You got some really cool stuff!!!

Back