• Join us for live Nintendo Trivia today at 6PM EDT in our Discord server as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 to win points for your team!

Body Mass Index (BMI) and Obesity - How does it make you feel?

My BMI is like 21.

It's bull**** to the umpteenth degree. Idc how big or small you are, as long as you're healthy and smart. I would look into other medications if you're concerned, though.

My BMI is 20 apparently.. which is healthy.
bmi is bullcrap, BMI doesn't know your bone mass, density or muscle percentage which could be giving you high/low results.
What matters is that you are healthy, feel healthy and are happy.

My BMI's 16.7 according to that site lmao oop...

How do you feel about the BMI? don't really care about it. Esp considering it doesn't factor into account bone mass, ethnicity, etc. which I do think are pretty huge factors, because almost all my friends would be considered underweight using that site.
How do you feel about your own BMI? not surprised, but I probably wouldn't try to put on weight just so I could get a higher BMI.
How do you feel about body image in general and how society portrays body image (like in the media, etc)? wow heavy question lol I think it's disturbing the ideals the media pushes on us, esp on young children. like the fact that models are encouraged to be super thin, and yet they get their ribcages and stuff photoshopped out of their photoshoots because people want them to appear that thin and still healthy...
Is eating right and exersizing enough? No, honestly genetics has a lot to do with it imo. And I don't think weight is the end all determinant of whether or not someone is healthy, I KNOW I'm only thin because of genetics, and even though I am thin I'm also pretty sure I'm unhealthy as hell.

My BMI is 15.6 omfg so I'm still underweight. I don't think my BMI will ever change. Not that bothered about it though.

How do you feel about the BMI? -It's most likely a load of BS.

How do you feel about your own BMI? -I think I'm good. I have a 19.1 BMI.

How do you feel about body image in general and how society portrays body image (like in the media, etc)?
-People like what they like. How society portrays body image is fine with me (I don't really care). If you have a different opinion, then do something about it instead of just arguing and complaining...? We are after all a part of society.

Is eating right and exersizing enough? -Under normal circumstances, most likely.

Is it fair for society to judge me for my weight?
-Yes, we all judge people unconsciously. Everyone does it. It's like saying "Is it fair for people to have an opinion?" Of course it is! Even on different matters, we judge. Judging is part of our internal safety mechanism.

Is it fair for me to judge myself for my weight? -Yes

How do you feel about the BMI?
I feel it's useful indicator of when it's time to do something about your weight. But if you're muscular, then steer clear.

How do you feel about your own BMI?
Hm. Not fantastic, but I don't dwell on it. I've been underweight my entire life. I find losing weight all too easy and struggle to maintain it once I do manage to gain.

How do you feel about body image in general and how society portrays body image (like in the media, etc)?
I could say a lot on this topic, but I think I'll refrain from doing so right now. I fear no one would like what I have to say on the topic anyway haha.

Is eating right and exersizing enough?
Depends on the person and their goals.

Is it fair for society to judge me for my weight?
They don't know or care about your circumstances. People are going to judge regardless.

Is it fair for me to judge myself for my weight?
I'm not going to tell you how to feel.

Oh man, my sister has a thyroid problem as well OP! But she's got Graves Disease. She sometimes switches between hypo and hyperthyroidism.

How do you feel about the BMI?: I'm pretty indifferent. It doesn't affect me so I don't care. It's not very accurate when it doesn't account for muscle mass though.
How do you feel about your own BMI?: I haven't checked my BMI in forever! Last time I checked it was like 25 but I recently lost 15 lbs and gained a lot of muscle so it might actually be the same accounting for my muscles, haha.
How do you feel about body image in general and how society portrays body image (like in the media, etc)?: It focuses too much on being beautiful instead of being healthy.
Is eating right and exersizing enough?: Yup! "Muh genetics" is no excuse either.

I personally think it's really stupid. For one thing, someone could way 300 pounds and just be tall, muscular and healthy. Weight isn't only a factor from fat.

I don't know what it is and I don't want to know, it's just gonna make me feel bad. And like I said I think it's bs.

It's important to have a healthy body, but it's definitely not everything.

Is eating right and exersizing enough? In my case I do both, and it isn't enough. I am obese for reasons outside of my control (medication side effects). Is it fair for society to judge me for my weight? Is it fair for me to judge myself for my weight?
No. It's not fair to be judged on weight/outside appearance, something that's really not up to choice. I guess the only advice I have would be just to drink a lot of water, try to become healthier and eat better, only if it's for you, don't change because you feel everyone wants you to.

- - - Post Merge - - -

also might add that i'm a very healthy person, i eat better than almost anyone i know, i exercise almost daily, though due to genetics i'm guessing i'm slightly bigger, but i don't consider myself obese, and i definitely don't look it, i have lots of muscle and i think the chart is complete bull**** and it makes me mad. i was at the doctor last year for a check up and even he told me that the chart is dumb and i don't need to think of it. /justmyopiniontho

Thank you everyone for your thoughts - keep them coming!

Like I said, I am eating well and excersizing. I am doing all I can. The medication I am on is effective in treating my hypothyroidism. If I switch, I could get very sick and risk my academic performance. I don't want that. Plus, as I said, I am on an additional medication to promote weight loss to counteract the side effect of the weight gain, and it IS working.

Plus, if you were to look at me I don't "look" obese. My real life friends are surprised when I tell them I am in the obese category. I don't "look" all that fat, again, a lot of it is muscle, but I am hung up on the word "obese" and is hurting my self-esteem. My body is in good shape - cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure, everything.

People think "obese" they thing "morbidly obese". I am not that. Far from it. Even I can see that. I don't take up 2 seats in an airplane if thats what you guys mean. I don't have a "gunt" either. Maybe a bit of a muffin top. Not a gunt. My arms are big because I was a boxer and competitive swimmer. But not flabby. My legs are short, because I am short, and they are muscular too. Its hard for you to imagine what I look like if all you have to go off of is "obese".

I feel like I have to justify my weight to some of you. Others I thank you for your sentiments. Clearly the consensus is that the BMI is BS. But many of you seem judgemental towards my BMI anyways (many not, so thank you) but I don't understand the contradiction.

As for "what really matters" - diet, excersize, intelligence, personality. I have a lot to offer too. I am delivering a guest lecture tomorrow night for a university class on a chapter I wrote (on Medieval Universities) for the class's textbook for God's sake. And perhaps that is what my boyfriend sees, beyond my current (temporary) weight. I have a few professors who are very successful, effective instructors and researchers who are overweight or obese. Weight isn't everything. And its a shame society portrays it as such.

lol, apparently my bmi is 18.6 which is JUST past being underweight.
i'm 5 feet and 95 pounds for those curious, i'm not ashamed to tell my weight or anything.
but yeah, i'm extremely petite, and people always ask me if i'm anorexic or have an eating disorder. |:
i'd like to gain some more weight tbh, but it's so hard for me because my metabolism is crazy fast. i'd like to gain like 10 pounds maybe, at the most.

1) I don't really go by BMI, it's not my go-to when deciding how much I should weigh or what goals I should meet, it just seems really inaccurate for the reasons you already listed.

2) My BMI currently says I'm 19.6, under the normal category, but again, that really doesn't tell me much. Just because my BMI is normal doesn't necessarily mean I'm healthy?

3) I think society and media has a huge part of objectification of beauty and the pursuit of perfection, as well as creating unnecessary and potentially harmful effects on youth who are trying to conform to said social standards. I don't think it's changed or gotten any better throughout time. And there's backlash from both sides of the argument too, from issues on weight, to plastic surgery, to using makeup, everything is under scrutiny, and it's frankly a bit obsessive at this point, but it's just one of those issues that people can't seem to settle on, because people tend to be superficial and judge with the eyes first, as much as they don't want to admit to it.

4) As you just stated, sometimes eating and exercise aren't enough, it goes beyond something you're able to control. I wouldn't say it's fair for society to judge you, but we all know that it does, and will continue to do so. That's the nature of it. But as for you? It's not fair for you to judge yourself, because at the end of the day, you're the only one in your corner. If society is going to judge you for something, especially something out of your control, don't you think you should at least back yourself up? I know words can hurt, and people can be cruel, but that's why you need to be kind to yourself even more, because you do know the truth of your situation, and other people's opinions at the end of the day don't matter, because chances are, you won't see half of these people who make snide remarks under their breath ever again. They'll go their way, and you'll go yours. Don't beat yourself up over this. The people that care about you are the ones that will stay by your side no matter what. They're the only ones that are important.

How do you feel about the BMI? I feel like in a pinch, it's an okay estimate. I don't think it includes enough information to be accurate though.
How do you feel about your own BMI? I feel...a tad interested. It's 19.1 (normal) now, and fluctuates from 18.3 (underweight). It's funny how a difference of five pounds can make you underweight to normal weight.
How do you feel about body image in general and how society portrays body image (like in the media, etc)? As someone who once had a very negative body image, and has recovered from an eating disorder, I think that everyone should embrace their bodies the way they are. If someone has unhealthy habits, then I think they should work on bettering themselves, but I hope everyone can see beauty in themselves regardless of the media.
Is eating right and exersizing enough? In my case I do both, and it isn't enough. I am obese for reasons outside of my control (medication side effects). Is it fair for society to judge me for my weight? Is it fair for me to judge myself for my weight? I'm sure you look great the way you are. If you are trying your best to be healthy, then that's all that matters! No number or boundary can define you as a person. It doesn't matter what ANYONE thinks of you, other than yourself. You are the only voice that matters, and don't let anyone bring you down. Don't compare your body to others; I've found that method alone works wonders on my confidence.

Apparently my bmi is 15.1 but this is probably because my metabolism is really hyperactive. I have Hyperthyroidism

How do you feel about the BMI?- I think it's pretty useless
How do you feel about your own BMI?- It kinda scares me that according to this I'm underweight but I seem very healthy. I eat healthily and exercise and take care of myself so it's just another number.
How do you feel about body image in general and how society portrays body image (like in the media, etc)?- I despise a lot of things about my body. Society is terrible about body image. It's just disturbing how many people have ed's now a days because they feel they have to fit this impossible standard.
Is eating right and exersizing enough?- Not always. It depends on genetic factors as well as medical, etc.

Last edited:
My BMI is about 16.5... I'm trying to gain weight but it's not going well.

How do you feel about the BMI?- I think it is useful for giving a ROUGH guide to how overweight you are. Doctors still use it but obviously you can't JUST go on BMI. But obviously if your BMI is 50+ something is not right there.
How do you feel about your own BMI?- It does scare me a bit as according to my lectures my BMI puts me at a greater risk of death. However I think I am quite healthy and am trying to put on weight.
How do you feel about body image in general and how society portrays body image (like in the media, etc)?- Yeah it's not that great. I think that the media should do more to portray every body type, not just skinny and not just curvy. BUT not go so far as to make fat the new norm.
Is eating right and exersizing enough? Usually yes. There is almost no excuse because if you eat less and exercise more you WILL lose weight. Obviously there are exceptions though.

23.7? Yeah ok x)

I don't have an opinion on it.

I don't know, I know for a fact I should drink less sodas and do more sports but I feel good in my body, I like to take long walks and that's making me excercise a little. I don't care about my BMI.

I don't give a crap about my body image - the way others see it. I put the clothes I think look nice, I makeup because I like it, and nothing more. In general, society fantasizes on body image, and that's awful. But normal, and human. We all aspire for beauty; it's just that for the past decades, beauty = skinny/muscles.

Is eating right and exersizing enough? In my case I do both, and it isn't enough. I am obese for reasons outside of my control (medication side effects).
Drink water - a lot! Your body will thank you.

Is it fair for society to judge me for my weight? Is it fair for me to judge myself for my weight?
It's not fair for society to judge you for your weight, but it's even less fair for you to judge yourself on your weight. You're so much more than that :) As long as you feel good IN your body (and not SEEING your body), then you're good. If you feel tired, not healthy, then you should do your best to change that (follow a strict diet? I don't really know). That's just my opinion, to me as long as you're feeling good being in your body, everything is cool.

How do you feel about the BMI? I'm not sure...

How do you feel about your own BMI? I just looked it up and I'm really disgusted with it. No wonder doctors don't take me seriously... It's bad. I'm really ashamed and embarrassed right now. Especially reading how much lower everyone else's is.

How do you feel about body image in general and how society portrays body image (like in the media, etc)? I think I'm pretty gross, honestly. I've never liked my body EXCEPT when I was losing weight from my ED and/or depression. Society's idea of perfection and beauty makes me sad because I'm nowhere close to looking like what I see everywhere. I tried for a really long time to fit in with what society deems beautiful, but it's hard and it's not worth it. Hell, I don't even compare to most girls I know/see. But what can you do. That's just how it is. It sucks, but it's probably how it's going to be forever. "Fat people are gross and stupid. Like, omg. Stop eating and work out." Comments like that will probably always be considered witty and funny. Most girls I know think chubby guys are gross; my friends are all about abs and stuff. Guys will always make snide comments about fat girls about how we boost their confidence because we're so desperate for any attention, etc. I've seen someone throw that out in another thread on here and it bothered the hell out of me, but I didn't say anything because I'm fat and if that's how they view fat girls, then it's not like I'm going to change their opinions. I'll never open up a magazine and see girls that look like me unless it's for weight loss surgery or someone's being mocked in a tabloid.

Is eating right and exercising enough? In my case I do/did both, and it isn't enough... I lost a lot of weight last summer, but I have an issue with my thyroid and I kind of messed up my metabolism when I was starving myself. My depression medicine made me pack it on too. Now I'm back at the starting weight and I have to try again.

Is it fair for society to judge me for my weight? No, but that's how it is. Can't really change how people are.

Is it fair for me to judge myself for my weight? No, but I've been doing it since the first time someone called me fat ass in first grade. It's always been that way for me... I obsessively weigh myself after every meal or work out. Even if I haven't eat or done anything at all that day, I'll do it at least...4 or 5 times. It's kind of just what I do? I'm hard on myself about my weight and my mum has been on me even more about it so it's even worse.

Last edited:
the thingy says my BMI is 19.5, which is??? pretty close to underweight wow (im about 5 feet tall and weigh 100 lb)
i know i should eat healthier and stuff but i don't really want to.

Back