• Join us for live Nintendo Trivia today at 6PM EDT in Discord as part of TBT's World Championship 2024 to win points for your team! if justin is awake

Should NH Get a Re-Release?

NicksFixed

Pointy Floaty Thing
Bells
Switch
2091-6478-9416
Orange (Fruit)
Mailbox
With the shutting-down of the 3DS e-Shop, the free WA update for NL is now lost to time. Those who have the base game and, for whatever reason, never updated back then, would have to buy the Welcome amiibo release to get the full experience. So it begs the question: Should NH get a re-release?

Given that a lot of the content for NH came with updates, there will inevitably come a point - hopefully far into the future - when they will no longer be available. NH still sells and is rarely [at least as far as I have noticed] out of the top 15 downloaded games on the eShop. There are a few little things that could be tidied up in NH along with an update, much like the WA update did, and possibly new content that could be added.

Even if nothing was added, would you buy a "complete" version of NH if it was re-released? This is coming from someone who prefers physical games over digital and I, for one,would like to know that I have the full content of a game on one cartridge straight out of the box ...

What are your thoughts?

I remember reading a theory (scroll down a bit to the big block of text; purely speculation) not too long ago that the reason NH came out somewhat unfinished was because all along Nintendo had planned re-releasing a revamped/expanded version of New Horizons on whatever came after the Switch (like Switch 2 or Switch Pro). But because of COVID and the chip shortage, this ending up not happening. It possibly could happen in the future, though.

I would certainly buy a re-release if it added a lot more stuff. All the missing furniture, Tortimer's island + the minigames, Nook shop upgrades, more dialogue, those cool mini-games from the in-game 3DS in New Leaf.. etc.
But it would be nice to have the option to continue to work on my current island in the re-release. I imagine a lot of people wouldn't want to start over..

the 3DS eShop is still open to redownload games and download free updates for at least the forseeable future, so the WA update isn't lost to time just yet (and there are ways to get around that when that day comes, too)

I could see them doing something like the Splatoon 2/BOTW bundles they did in Japan, where you get the HHP DLC bundled in with the game, but I don't see them a pre-2.0'd version of NH because they... kinda haven't done this with the Switch yet? Kinda worrying in the long term if Nintendo moves away from the Switch ecosystem entirely at some point (especially if there aren't any easier ways of creating ways to get around it invented before that point), understandable given wi-fi is something basically everyone has (but frustrating and worrying again if you've got rubbish wi-fi)

I don't think they're gonna do a New Horizons+ either with additional content, because aside from the museum shop and sewing, which seem to have been scrapped sometime after the release of the game) I feel as if they've added everything they wanted to add for NH, at this point doing another big update for NH is eating into the dev time of the next AC game (which given it's going to be on the Switch's successor at this point, needs all the dev time it can get to be ready for Animal Crossing's usual "sometime in the first three years of a Nintendo console's lifecycle" release slot, even with the updates it's inevitably going to have), and the devs explicitly said something along the lines of "people will get bored if it's exactly the same game" in the past.

I'm generally always in favor of any re-release of a game that includes all DLC. Ideally, that's what Game of the Year Edition titles are intended to be. If not for the sake of media preservation, at the very least because downloading an enormous update to play the game is extremely burdensome in the best of scenarios. Unfortunately, I don't picture Nintendo doing this, especially since they've been gradually seeking out methods to discourage customers from purchasing physical copies for the past decade anyway.

the 3DS eShop is still open to redownload games and download free updates for at least the forseeable future, so the WA update isn't lost to time just yet (and there are ways to get around that when that day comes, too)

I could see them doing something like the Splatoon 2/BOTW bundles they did in Japan, where you get the HHP DLC bundled in with the game, but I don't see them a pre-2.0'd version of NH because they... kinda haven't done this with the Switch yet? Kinda worrying in the long term if Nintendo moves away from the Switch ecosystem entirely at some point (especially if there aren't any easier ways of creating ways to get around it invented before that point), understandable given wi-fi is something basically everyone has (but frustrating and worrying again if you've got rubbish wi-fi)

I don't think they're gonna do a New Horizons+ either with additional content, because aside from the museum shop and sewing, which seem to have been scrapped sometime after the release of the game) I feel as if they've added everything they wanted to add for NH, at this point doing another big update for NH is eating into the dev time of the next AC game (which given it's going to be on the Switch's successor at this point, needs all the dev time it can get to be ready for Animal Crossing's usual "sometime in the first three years of a Nintendo console's lifecycle" release slot, even with the updates it's inevitably going to have), and the devs explicitly said something along the lines of "people will get bored if it's exactly the same game" in the past.
"sewing"?

It would be nice for them to add DLC that contain more items, features, QoL fixes, etc. I'd legit buy it. But at this point I feel like they're just gonna make a new Animal Crossing game instead.

It really surprises me how Nintnedo doesn't seem to give this game enough credit than it deserves. Its one of their biggest selling games and there are still many people playing it and even new ones picking it up for the first time. I really think if Nintendo releases their next system (whenever that is) maybe ACNH will get a new re-release but they have to change the game because I know this game was released during a time when the Covid Pandemic broke out in 2020 so it felt forced.

So maybe if Nintendo cared they would take more time with this game and add more new stuff that many people including myself that would want like a lot of Quality of Life updates and just more new content to the game that wlll make it stand out. Then again I don't see them doing it considering that they are probably working on the next Animal Crossing game weather it would be a mainline or a side game who knows for sure.

Yes I know this game is dead and I know Nintendo clearly said they have "no plans" for a DLC or expansion but still part of me still wonders if they will actually shock everyone saying that they will release this game again but its a lot more fleshed out and it feels like a brand new game. Maybe its like a sequel to ACNH? I don't know and its all wishful thinking and speculation.

Last edited:
They released a special edition of Pokemon Sw/Sh that came with the DLC, but I think it was still a code. I can see them maybe doing something like that in the future for ACNH, but I'm not sure if they'll ever release it all on one cartridge for several reasons.

Personally, I think all companies with extensive and popular games like this should eventually release a definitive edition later on down the road when they're 100% finished with them and the sales are starting to dip, mainly in the interest of gaming preservation. I miss the days when gaming companies released Player's Choice and Platinum games, etc., after a long time had passed, for a cheaper price.

Oh, and yes, I probably would buy it, because my Switch is already running out of space with the insane amount of updates the Nintendo branded games keep pushing, much of it solely because they rushed the game out before it was ready (hi, Brilliant Diamond).

I absolutely would if I still had my switch lite.
As much as I would love to see that happen, I don't think it will for a number of reasons.
>Cost. Yeah the consumer could take care of that, but from Nintendo's perspective, is there enough consumers with the interest to buy it?
>Debatably, I do think it would make it easier to have more roms and hacks of it appearing online. Something Nintendo may not want.
>Environmental. The physical resources to make it vs someone just buying/downloading the digital that's already there.
>🧂 Idk if it's still happening but I did hear of Nintendo stocking up on manufacturing parts. If Nintendo feels that it may be an issue about getting different parts from Taiwan in the future, they may want to save what they have for the launches of new games.

I never actually bought a physical copy of New Horizons, because it came out during covid...and I think Amazon didn't have it in stock, and I wanted something to keep me occupied, so I got the digital version. Anyway...for that reason, I do plan to eventually purchase a physical copy to add to my collection. So, sure...it would be great if there was a complete version at that point.

I wouldn't buy a re-release as I would just be annoyed having to buy the game again with new features and so on.

But I would be happy to buy a DLC that was worth it like the above users mentioned having features like Tortimer's island and shop upgrades I loved that in New Leaf, even for way more items of clothing and furniture.

Otherwise I rather them bring out a new game instead of a re-release.......

absolutely not. i already spent $90+ on the copy of new horizons that i have now, plus $32.99 for the hhp dlc. i would prefer to spend my money on a whole new game instead of a re-release tbh. i don’t have much interest in new horizons nowadays (though that’ll maybe change once i’m not so busy), so by the time that the updates are no longer accessible, i probably won’t be playing at all anymore.

I remember reading a theory (scroll down a bit to the big block of text; purely speculation) not too long ago that the reason NH came out somewhat unfinished was because all along Nintendo had planned re-releasing a revamped/expanded version of New Horizons on whatever came after the Switch (like Switch 2 or Switch Pro). But because of COVID and the chip shortage, this ending up not happening. It possibly could happen in the future, though.

I would certainly buy a re-release if it added a lot more stuff. All the missing furniture, Tortimer's island + the minigames, Nook shop upgrades, more dialogue, those cool mini-games from the in-game 3DS in New Leaf.. etc.
But it would be nice to have the option to continue to work on my current island in the re-release. I imagine a lot of people wouldn't want to start over..

I am absolutely convinced we'll get a WA-style update for NH, but y'know, different.

I am absolutely convinced we'll get a WA-style update for NH, but y'know, different.
I mean, the game’s already got amiibo support and it already got an update adding all the furniture from its HHD equivalent, so I don’t think there’s going to be another Welcome Amiibo just because a few years have passed since the game’s release (although I think treating WA as that ultimately ignores the fact that in hindsight, after spending the best part of a year releasing amiibo cards with literally every character that existed in NL and making Amiibo Festival with the explicit purpose of marketing amiibo figures, it was the inevitable endpoint of what they were doing)

I mean, the game’s already got amiibo support and it already got an update adding all the furniture from its HHD equivalent, so I don’t think there’s going to be another Welcome Amiibo just because a few years have passed since the game’s release (although I think treating WA as that ultimately ignores the fact that in hindsight, after spending the best part of a year releasing amiibo cards with literally every character that existed in NL and making Amiibo Festival with the explicit purpose of marketing amiibo figures, it was the inevitable endpoint of what they were doing)
As a random side note, I'm curious to see how well series 5 sold. I remember hearing about it and saw a couple packs in stores but didn't see the big flourish of people lining up to hoarde buy like back in 2015 with the other 4 series. I personally didn't bother as there were barely any new villagers to make the hunt worth it so I wonder who collected. That as well with how many were actually printed or whether there were typical Nintendo style shortages.

As a random side note, I'm curious to see how well series 5 sold. I remember hearing about it and saw a couple packs in stores but didn't see the big flourish of people lining up to hoarde buy like back in 2015 with the other 4 series. I personally didn't bother as there were barely any new villagers to make the hunt worth it so I wonder who collected. That as well with how many were actually printed or whether there were typical Nintendo style shortages.
It's certainly hard to judge that, because I also remember how wild it was with the first four series. I went out to gamestop to find some on release day only to learn they were sold out. Thus, I never actually got to buy in-stores and I resorted to ebay (where I somehow got a lot of series 1 cheaper than retail?). Series 5 went in and out of stock many many times on amazon upon release, so it no doubt sold very well, but I did actually see them in-stores as well. Hard to know if that was nintendo actually having not-terribly-insufficient stock or if it just didn't sell as quickly.

I guess it's also important to consider that animal crossing as a franchise was smaller back then, and so the stock may have not anticipated the demand. With new horizons selling MUCH higher than any other animal crossing title, it's possible nintendo took that into consideration and had better stock. If that's true, series 5 easily could have sold more than any other series.

Honestly yeah this game should get a final physical copy. I've already brought this up many times during this game's infamous content drought. What happens years later, when Nintendo isn't supporting this game or the Switch anymore? The full version is just lost to time?

It's not whether or not YOU will buy it, but it should still be a thing. NL Welcome Amiibo actually had physical copies distributed. But if you already had the original version you could just download it for free.

I'm not sure how well the series 5 sold, but WA had a lot more going on with the 400 something cards. Plus 50 of them allowed you to check out their RV and buy their special furniture and accessories. And also the different AC related amiibos and the partnered ones like Splatoon and Zelda. So it just had a lot more going on for people to bother whereas the Sanrio has like a handful? The difference is night and day.

Back