• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

NH and future-proofing

Hypno KK

vampire squid from heck
Bells
Pink Hybrid Cosmos
Pink Hybrid Lily
Pink Hybrid Cosmos
Pink Hybrid Lily
Pink Hybrid Cosmos
The 3DS online services getting shut down has got me thinking about how playable NH will be when this inevitably happens to the Switch as well. What do you think? Do you think we'll ever get updates to make that easier or maybe fanmade workarounds?

For example, we've gotten Cyrus which has made it easier to collect furniture variants without trading online. On the other hand, patterns/custom designs rely on the Nintendo Online service, so I'm not sure how that'll work when servers get shut down. At least in NL the QR codes still function without an online connection. I think the older games dating back from a time when there was less focus on online stuff means we're only deprived of *some*, not-that-essential things, but I wonder if it'll be trickier to preserve NL content :c

there will absolutely be community run servers in the end, though high likelyhood it'll require a hacked console to even utilize as well

and even then, idk if it'd just be for simple multiplayer connecting or if it'd extend to the custom designs portal and dream islands as well

as for nintendo though? they're never gonna futureproof any of this any more than they (barely) have already. they have zero incentitve to, business or legal

It'll still be just as playable as New Leaf is after its online services were discontinued. Now, I'm not sure about the community servers, since the official online service requires a subscription. We'll just have to wait and see. But IMO, with how everything is programmed and with Nintendo being no-nonsense when it comes to hacked Switches, the chances of the formation of a working community server after the shutdown is going to be slim to none.

i do wonder about that especially with dream addresses 🫂

in terms of custom designs, i know there are quite a few youtube videos walking you through how to make them yourself but that's just not feasible for everyone :C

It's really sad to think about.. hopefully New Horizons gets as much time as New Leaf did.. but then again, there's not as much to do online with others in NH like there was in NL.

But IMO, with how everything is programmed and with Nintendo being no-nonsense when it comes to hacked Switches, the chances of the formation of a working community server after the shutdown is going to be slim to none.

fwiw, nintendo's hardhandedness right now centers on the argument that hacked systems/emulators are exclusively used for pirated content that harms their business

ofc they might not like it if a community server popped up after they shut down online services, but so long as it wasn't able to be used as a tool for piracy, they couldn't do **** about it

Yeah I’m worried about losing access to the custom design portal, I feel like that could really limit people. I don’t know what they could do about that though, I guess just keep their next system’s online services on the same servers? I’m not sure how any of that works though lol

Back