• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

What do you base your dreamies list on? Do you eventually change them?

jawsehlynn

flying egg *✧⁺˚
Bells
I started playing NH again since 2021 and it was interesting thinking about how I came up with my dreamie list and the effort it took getting everyone 😆 I mean it's nothing crazy - just villagers I think are cool + some sentimental value, but it's also methodical like "I need to have every personality and not repeat species" lol

I adopted a gray tabby and calico cat within these last few years so now I'm like okay I HAVE to include Lolly and Purrl on my island. But then I look at my old villagers like Apollo and Whitney who I ship and don't want to separate, and Judy who was one of my first villagers and I've grown an attachment to 😭 But then I'm like is it really that deep? Sometimes, it is hahah

i have my dreamies then i have my permies; my dreamies are just cute villagers that i would have loved to find or obtain while my permies are the villagers that i didn't think i would love but they've been on my island for so long that i can't see myself letting them go anymore 😣

i have my dreamies then i have my permies; my dreamies are just cute villagers that i would have loved to find or obtain while my permies are the villagers that i didn't think i would love but they've been on my island for so long that i can't see myself letting them go anymore 😣
that's a good way of looking at it! so hard when you have so many permies though 🤧

usually base my dreamies list from having one villager of each of the personality type (A + B) that i am a fan of vibe-wise

i can just go off of my favourite villagers that i invited to my island at one stage sort of easily + then i'll boot them out. my attachment and love towards the OG dreamies? gone. brutal behaviour

My dreamies are based on villagers that I find cool or cute. I also try not to have a lot of villagers on my island that have the same color or too many villagers of the same species. I like having some variety on my island. In addition, I want most of my dreamies to match the theme of my island, though I don't keep my dreamies list too strict. Like if I'm on an island tour and find one of my favorite villagers, I'll likely request them to move in.

I always try to have one villager from each personality. The repetition of dialogue from personalities that are the same drives me crazy because I like having the illusion that they're their own people.

I also don't care too much for them fitting the theme of my island. I just decorate the land around them to fit their houses and move on.

usually base my dreamies list from having one villager of each of the personality type (A + B) that i am a fan of vibe-wise

i can just go off of my favourite villagers that i invited to my island at one stage sort of easily + then i'll boot them out. my attachment and love towards the OG dreamies? gone. brutal behaviour
LOL nah i get it though, there's always room to experience new villagers 😤
Post automatically merged:

I always try to have one villager from each personality. The repetition of dialogue from personalities that are the same drives me crazy because I like having the illusion that they're their own people.

I also don't care too much for them fitting the theme of my island. I just decorate the land around them to fit their houses and move on.
same! the variety makes it special :)

Essentially, I have a big pool of villagers whose designs I like. Before making a new town/island, I come up with a concept to base said town/island around and choose villagers who fit that concept. I try not to repeat villagers across different games so that I can experience more of them.

I do try to have at least one villager of each personality, at least for a while. Having all of the different personalities helps to keep the dialogue less repetitive. Personality diversity isn't a guarantee that someone will stick around permanently though. One of my New Leaf towns is an all bird species town where I have villagers of each bird species (Bird, Chicken, Duck, Eagle, Penguin, Ostrich). One of those residents has been Gladys, the Normal Ostrich. However, once I get the final Normal Public Works Project suggestion from her, I plan to replace her with Julia. I like Julia's colorful peacock design more than Gladys' design and Gladys is the only of the 10 residents who I'm open to replacing, so yeah. This will mean I won't have any Normal residents and have multiple Snooty villagers in that town, but hey, it is what it is.

I've occasionally gotten tired of certain villagers after a while and end up replacing them with someone else. Additionally, sometimes when they add new or returning villagers via DLC, that shakes things up too.

My dreamie list does change especially if I get a lot of them right away. Originally though, I wanted certain villagers to be my permanent residents, so they were my dreamies. But later, as I browsed and posted here, I became more interested in having other villagers visit me and also I liked some more of their designs. The amount of villagers I’ve been interested in have grown over time.

There were some who were dreamies who changed because I got a different vibe from them in NH than the one I got from them in NL. I still like the villager but I no longer want them because they don’t have what I had liked so much about them in NL. Then again, I feel like the dialogue for all personalities seem to lack something that NL had.

For me what mostly a dreamie is that I like their design. But there are a few whose designs aren’t my favorites but I’m interested in since I like the screenshots and things I read about them from other players. So dreamies may also be ones I’ve grown to appreciate and not have designs that I would normally like or like right away.

I don't think I typically start with a list of exactly 10 dreamies, though I definitely have an awareness of certain villagers who I'd love to see. I play the game normally and if some villagers grow on me, I don't let them move, while others are charming but not permanent and end up getting replaced. I'll island hop for a new resident and turn down maybe half a dozen villagers I'm not a fan of, or ones I've had before, but I tend to take the first appealing villager I see instead of hunting for one exact resident. Now that I've had my NH town since release day, it's pretty difficult to let any villagers go. A few are ones I had wanted to try for years, while others just happened to show up and grow on me.

In a future installment, I hope I'll get to meet some of my longtime favorites in person, like Curlos, Shari, Hornsby, Goldie, Purrl, Anabelle, Tybalt, or Wade. But I don't think I'll preselect my whole town ahead of time.

Mine are mostly based off my aesthetic, though there are exceptions such as Bob. Most don't even start off as a dreamie until much later on. Take Lopez for example. He's one of my most liked villagers ever, but I actually never bothered to get him in New Leaf, despite already having his amiibo card. It didn't take until going through my album during the early New Horizons era and picking him out to replace Apollo before my appreciation for him really rose alongside most of the other deer villagers. Now, I can't imagine having a main town without him. Thomson's Gazelle antelope are very cool-looking animals, and I love how I can dress him up in both cool rockstar outfits and casual northern-vibe ones. Also, despite never being a resident of a main town (yet), Bruce is the villager who most represents myself.

The only deer I had in New Leaf was Fuchsia, and she was moved in at the tail end of my regular New Leaf play period. Fuchsia never really reached high on my most favorite list because of her hot pink fur, but I already had her card, thus moved her in. Believe me though, she would definitely be invited to a deer-majority town if I ever were to make one.

For villagers that aren't deer, Kyle has the thrash rockstar look (and also shares my IRL birthday); Roscoe's dark appearance is amazing; Dotty is simple but incredibly cute (yes, even when her eyes are red); Bob doesn't match appearance-wise but his smug look is the best; and possibly other villagers I'm forgetting to mention.

Mallary is a unique dreamie of mine in that she's been in all my regular towns since I started playing the series with City Folk. She's criminally underrated for a duck villager, and looks a whole lot better than Gloria and Miranda in my opinion. I want to keep that track record going whenever I can, as she's been with me since the beginning.

I try not to change my dreamies, though it's happened a few times. I used to like Jacques a lot, but he's slid considerably since I let him go off my island. Skye and Scoot have both been on and off; the latter for meme reasons. All and all, it usually takes a bit of time for my appreciation of a villager to grow. Maybe it'll happen again in the next mainline game.

It's literally just a small list of villagers I loved during my childhood. The #1 and #2 being Jeremiah and Julian respectively.

I usually go by species, color scheme or both. My island villagers follow a particular color scheme, and the line-up consists of eight dogs and two wolves.

Back