• Join us for live Nintendo Trivia today at 6PM EDT in our Discord server as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 to win points for your team!

What are you reading?

Now that it's a new year, I have a goal of reading at least one book per month. So far, I've read and finished The Assassin's Blade. It's part of the Throne of Glass series and I'm excited to continue the series.

I also finished Heal my Fractious Heart today which is a romance set in the veterinary field. I enjoyed it as a vet tech though there is some spice in it if that isn't your thing.

I'm debating on starting The Dragon Vet series or Haunting Adeline next. I'm waiting on Starling House to be ready for me on Libby too :)

I started reading History of My Pets by Grace Greenwood, because it was free, and I wanted something cute and generally positive to ease my nerves and soothe my tension. And what better way to destress than with a tome all about the rich lives of animal companions?

Shockingly, a book in which every chapter ends with a detailed account of how each pet has their life brutally cut short was not as helpful as was originally anticipated, so I've decided against reading it to the conclusion.

I finished Babel and really liked it - it dragged out a little but the ending was amazing.

Currently reading:

Philosopher's stone (I've never read any Harry Potter books so I'm looking forward to getting this ticked off the bucket list)

Thone of Glass (#1) - delving back into the SJM universe. My friend and I are reading this series at the same time, although she started with Assassin's Blade whereas I plan on reading that fourth)

Tough Crowd by Graham Linehan

Since the writer of The IT Crowd is my new bestie (well, he started following me on twitter/X at least lolol) it's about time I got round to reading his book which I bought last month.

So far it's great! Glinner is very funny of course, being a BAFTA winning comedy screenwriter for some of the greatest shows of all time. He also has a touching way of writing that instantly endears him to people. I shall commit to reading the whole thing and reviewing it when I'm done.

I liked the homemade ad he made for the book too, which you can watch here:

my policeman by bethan roberts! so very good. i also started the premonition by banana yoshimoto & i'm enjoying it, too.
my policeman: very very good.
the premonition: NO.

anyway, i just finished sweet bean paste by durian sukegawa -- very good! such a bittersweet ending.

I just finished reading "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" for my English 1102 class, which was very interesting! I loved how the author described the setting, and how they led into the dark secret. If you're a fan of utopian short stories, I recommend this one!

I finished:

Harry Potter and the Philosopherโ€™s Stone: 4/5 ๐ŸŒŸ

Throne of Glass: 3.5/5 ๐ŸŒŸ

Having a break from the ToG series to continue the 2nd book of the Red Rising seriesโ€ฆ Golden Son! Iโ€™ve been thinking about this book for a while and Iโ€™m really excited to begin it.

Reading goal for 2024 so far:

3/20 books read.

I'm currently reading The Slime Beast by Guy N Smith. It's not as good as 'The Sucking Pit' but it's better than "Bats Out Of Hell" - I'd give it three out of five skulls.

Slime_Beast-768x1271.jpg

I'm currently in the middle of reading 'The Count of Monte Cristo' for the first time. It was a little intimidating picking it up, not gonna lie. I've noticed that I'm not a huge fan of classics where it was originally a serial before being put together as a book, I just think they tend to drag, so picking up a book that comes in at 2,383 pages and was originally a serial was a...choice, let's just say lol Despite my initial misgivings, however, I've really been enjoying it!

SPOILERS AHEAD

Following Edmond Dantes as he grows from a naive, kind guy to a jaded man is so frustrating to watch. I'm normally one for revenge stories, but this one has been particularly hard for me because it's so frustrating to see what Edmond's life could have been. All he wanted was to marry the girl of his dreams and to spend time with his father. This is brutally ripped away from him, along with the years of his life, all because of the greed of other men, and Edmond spends so many years thinking there has been some grave mistake, some error that will set him free if found, that it isn't until his friend the abbot walks him through it that he finally realizes just how thoroughly he's been betrayed. (That scene is such an underrated comedic scene, by the way! Edmond is having a breakdown after realizing how many people he trusted turned on him and the abbot is just gleefully telling him how badly he got screwed lol) It's so painful when he escapes and finds out how much things have changed, how many of his enemies have prospered while he spent years rotting. It's so sad to think that this happened to some regular guy without a mean bone in his body.

I think it's also interesting how the author uses themes of death and re-birth. Dante's Inferno is mentioned continuously and biblical imagery of angels and Hell are also frequent. Edmond Dantes goes into that prison and he doesn't come out. The Count of Monte Cristo does. And, of course, you have that scene where Edmond pays off his old boss's debt and he explicitly states that his last ties to humanity have been severed. Ugh, it's just so good.

I enjoy it when I read it, but the size of the book has made it a little difficult to get in the mood for it. (And I don't mean that literally. I'm reading it on my phone.) I would really love to start making some more progress on it, but every time I think of picking it back up again I remember the page count and how far I have to go and it's a little daunting. Also, the pacing has seemed to slow down a little, with Edmond taking on the persona of Sinbad the Sailor (yes, love that for you king!). I stopped where those two rich guys have been listening to the story in the hotel and honestly,
I haven't been enjoying that part very much.

Rereading mockingjay (the third hunger games book)

im on here because I had to put it down for a second. Very emotionally intense scene I decided I needed to have a break from before I keep reading
tw: death and murder and stuff cause hunger games
OH MY GOD GALE I HATE YOU SO MUCH AKSHKSJSHSJKAKAKAKA YOU DONT EXCUSE MURDER LIKE THAT GALE OH MY GOD YOURE LITERALLY NO BETTER THAN SNOW IF YOU DONT CARE ABOUT THE LIVES OF CAPITOL CITIZENS AKSJKSOAAKSISO

Stayed up til 1am finishing Golden Son last night! I absolutely LOVE this series so far, and whilst I was planning on taking a break to read the next TOG I'm putting it on the back burner for now. I need to find out what happens in the next book!!

Golden Son - 5/5 stars

Yearly goal: 4/20

I'm about half-way through Doyle's The Lost World and so far there hasn't been a single (living) dinosaur. :(

I'm currently reading:
- The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
- The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan

I just started The Last Olympian this afternoon, so I don't have much to say on it yet, but The Song of Achilles has been amazing so far!

I'm currently reading:
- The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
- The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan

I just started The Last Olympian this afternoon, so I don't have much to say on it yet, but The Song of Achilles has been amazing so far!
I love Song of Achilles, one of my favourite books ^^

I'm reading:

Morning Star (the 3rd book in the Red Rising saga)

Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets

I'm on chapter 20 of The Gathering Storm, book #12 of The Wheel of Time series. Just 2 more books(well 3, if you count the prequel) in the series after this and I AM DONE! ๐Ÿ˜€

In the short term, I'm reading an old draft of a story wrote, called The Strangeness Club. I think I recited an excerpt of it on the "Do you like your voice" thread. I was going to rewrite some sections of it, so I was checking to see what needed rewriting.
In the long term, I'm reading the Scott Pilgrim series of graphic novels. I already watched the movie adaptation several years ago, and the Netflix show inspired me to revisit the franchise and read the graphic novels. I'm on the fourth of six volumes right now.

Just recently finished Semantic Error and am still in the process of getting through House of Leaves. I took a little break from it after life did what life does, should be getting back to it soon. Itโ€™s quite a fun read so far.

Back